Citrus season is nearing an end, but there is no need to go without refreshing cocktails like the Collins and Sours during the warmer months.
If you have a lemon or lime tree growing in your backyard, take advantage of the last of the crop by juicing any remaining lemons or limes (or both) and freezing them in cubes to make it easier for your next cocktail making session.
The Tovolo Perfect Cube ice cube tray is a great way to keep lemon juice or lime juice (mix the two and voila!, you have a classic sour mix) handy in the freezer. Just pour the juice into the tray, freeze, then pop the cubes out and store them in the freezer. The Tovolo Perfect Cube tray makes things exceptionally easy, as the cubes are square-shaped, and at 1-inch per side, each cube will contain approximately 1 ounce of juice.
When you want to make a cocktail, just remove as many cubes as you may need and microwave them 15 to 20 seconds (your results may vary based on your microwave, but the goal is to melt the cube, not to heat or cook the juice), then measure the juice into your cocktails.
With a little planning and work, you can have Margaritas, Whiskey Sours, Tom Collins, and Daiquiris available year-round almost effortlessly. Keep the cubes in a labeled and dated container in the freezer and you’ll have pre-portioned juice and sour mix ready to go for your next cocktail party.
Try using these juice cubes for a Whiskey Sour, one of the easiest and most refreshing drinks for warm weather.
Juice Cube Whiskey Sour
Makes 1 cocktail
- 2 oz good quality bourbon (Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, or similar)
- 2 frozen juice cubes (1 lemon/1 lime or 2 sour mix cubes)
- 1 oz simple syrup (1 cup of sugar cooked over medium heat with 1 cup water until clear and then cooled)
- Place juice cubes in a small bowl or other microwaveable container. Microwave 15 to 20 seconds, or until melted.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice.
- Shake vigorously and pour contents of shakes into a double rocks glass (also known as a bucket)
- Add more ice to top off drink if needed.