It’s that time of the year for everything pumpkin. I’m sure that you’ve seen it at your local coffee shop and grocer’s. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin latte, pumpkin macarons, pumpkin this, and pumpkin that. It can be a bit overwhelming. So instead of going the traditional route, how about trying something new?
This week, on Foodie Next Door, I’m showing you how to whip up a pumpkin mousse with mascarpone cream and ginger cookies.
And remember, there’s a foodie in all of us.
Pumpkin Mousse With Mascarpone Cream and Ginger Cookies
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar (superfine is preferable) and 2 tablespoons sugar, separated
- 1 can pumpkin
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese (at room temperature)
- ½ cup heavy cream, cold
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Scant 1 cup of crushed store-bought ginger snap cookies
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl if you’re using a hand mixer.) Using the whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until the whites become frothy. At this point, turn speed up to high.
- Start slowly sprinkling in ½ cup of sugar. Do not dump all at once or else the meringue will never set. “Rain” the sugar in until all of it is added. Continue to beat for 2 to 4 more minutes or until the meringue is semi-stiff and becomes similar in texture to smooth marshmallow cream. When you remove the whisk attachment, the meringue should hold its form and lightly curl over the end of the whisk. If it’s still too soft or runny, keep mixing on high speed until the meringue comes to the right consistency.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Once combined, add into meringue base. Fold it together. Set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whip together heavy cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and almond extract. Add to mascarpone cheese, and fold together until completely combined and smooth.
- To plate, layer the pumpkin meringue in the bottom of a decorative single serving trifle or parfait dish. Add the next layer of mascarpone cream. Finish off with another layer of pumpkin meringue and then with ginger snap cookies.
- Serve, and enjoy.