Summer is ramping down, but the local produce is still delicious, especially tomatoes. Since they ripen around this time of the year, take advantage of the fresh, heirloom varieties at your neighborhood farmers market.
This week, on Foodie Next Door, I show you how to use seasonal ingredients, how to create a delicious salad, and how to be a true gourmand. Just remember, there’s a foodie in all of us, so go out there and experiment with your fresh produce!
If you want to see part two of the video, please click here.
Golden Tomato Salad
- 3 golden tomatoes, chopped
- 10 heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
- ½ cup English cucumber, charred and diced
- ½ cup cubed, toasted sourdough
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and soaked in ice water
- 3 to 4 Thai basil leaves, torn
- 2 to 3 Shiso leaves, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, roasted garlic, grilled cucumber, sourdough bread croutons, and onions. Gently toss together.
- Add in Thai basil leaves, shiso, olive oil, and lemon juice. Stir gently, but thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to sit for a couple minutes for flavor to meld.
- Garnish with one whole Thai basil leaf, and serve.