Most people assume that a salad is just tossed greens with some vinaigrette. Although that may be great for the summer time, fall and winter are all about warm, comforting flavors. Don’t be afraid to bake, char, or fry your greens. It will add an amazing, savory addition to your salad, and it will make your friends ask for your recipe.
This week on Foodie Next Door, I show you how to make a charred radicchio with delicious, candied Brussels sprouts.
And don’t forget, there’s a foodie in all of us.
Charred Radicchio With Candied Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 head radicchio
- ½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed with leaves separated and removed
- 3 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup olive oil, separated (2 tablespoons for brushing on radicchio)
- 1 whole grapefruit with segments supremed and 2 tablespoons juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 star crimson pair, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup walnut halves, toasted
- Scant ½ cup of piave vecchio cheese, shaved into wide thin curls (Parmesan can be substituted)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced on a bias
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Over medium-high heat, add bacon to a sauté pan, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp.
- Keep bacon in the pan, add the Brussels sprouts leaves, and stir to coat with bacon fat. Sauté the leaves, stirring every minute or so for 5 minutes until bright green and just starting to caramelize.
- When Brussels sprouts leaves are tender and slightly caramelized, remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Cut the radicchio into quarters, and brush with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Place on the parchment-lined tray, and broil for 3 to 5 minutes. Watch closely. When the tops start to char, flip the lettuce over, and continue to cook until the outer parts char. Remove from the oven, and let cool slightly.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the grapefruit juice and the lemon juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season to taste.
- Assemble salad by placing a quarter of the charred radicchio in the center of a large shallow bowl. Add a scoopful of the candied Brussels on top of the lettuce. Arrange several grapefruit supremes and pear slices on top of that.
- Add a small handful of walnut halves. Top with a few scallions and cheese. Finish with a drizzle of vinaigrette.