This Cajun pasta salad isn’t one to eat out-of-doors. You can even eat it slightly warm though it is best when it has sat in the fridge for at least a couple of hours. Adding the dressing while the pasta is hot allows for maximum absorption, and the tomato paste really boosts the umami factor. Jazz it up by adding diced, cooked sausage or chicken, but the current version pleases vegetarians and carnivores alike, making it a great choice for a big party.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 pound pasta (elbows, fusilli, or bowties work well)
- 2 bell peppers, cleaned and diced
- 1 bunch scallions, cleaned and diced (white and green parts)
- 1 bunch celery, diced (hearts only, all the way up to leaves)
- 1 package frozen green peas
- 1 ½ teaspoon tomato paste
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta in water until it is cooked until al dente or to your liking.
- Drain the pasta, put it in a bowl, and mix in the peas immediately.
- Add all other veggies.
- Combine mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings until the dressing is piquant, sweet, and a bit spicy.
- Add the dressing to the pasta while it is still hot, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.